Carry the Message and the Mission Forward

On these grounds over 150 years ago, the Holy Mother appeared to the young Adele Brise and instructed her to teach the children in the faith. This is where Sister Adele began her work and inspired the efforts of generations of faithful Christians.

1831

1831

January 30 – Marie Adele Joseph Brise is born in Dion-le-Val, Belgium. Read Adele Brise

1846

1846

May 13 – At a conference in Baltimore, the Bishops of the United States, under her title of the Immaculate Conception, choose Our Blessed Mother as the patron of the United States.

1850s

Immigrants from Holland, Belgium and Germany arrive in the area around Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA. This area becomes known as the Bay Settlement.

1854

December 8 – The Pope declares the dogma of the Immaculate Conception.

1858

February – Our Blessed Mother manifests herself and expresses her will to St. Bernadette in Lourdes, France.

1859

October 9 – Apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary occur to Adele and she begins her teaching mission. Read The Good News

1859

Her father, Lambert Brise, builds the first chapel on the Shrine grounds. Read Haven for Healing and Celebration

1861

Pilgrimages to the Shrine begin. Read Celebrating Together

1864

A group of Franciscan Tertiaries begin their life together in a farmhouse near the chapel. The school and convent are built. Read Teach the Children

1869

The chapel school opens as Saint Mary’s Boarding Academy. Read Teach the Children

1871

October 8 – The Peshtigo Fire destroys everything in the area surrounding the Shrine except the convent, school, chapel and five acres of land consecrated to the Virgin Mary. Read Shelter from the Fire

1885

The Diocese builds a brick residence and school with money solicited by Adele.

1890

Sister “Maggie” (Marguerite Allard), assistant to Adele and secretary for the tertiary group at the chapel, dies.

1893

Bishop Messmer solicits the help of the Canons of Premontre from Berne Abbey in Holland to work on the peninsula. Father Bernard Pennings and his group of Norbertines are the first of their order to come to America.

1896

July 5 – Adele dies. Leadership of the chapel and school are entrusted to her associate Sister Madeleine. Read Adele Brise

1902

Two remaining Tertiaries at the chapel enter the Community of Franciscan Sisters at Bay Settlement. Bishop Messmer of Green Bay entrusts the work at the chapel to the Sisters of St. Francis from Bay Settlement. Sister Pauline LaPlante, O.S.F. is assigned to the chapel and remains as its head for the next 24 years. Read Sister Pauline

1926

March 15 – Sister Pauline dies at the chapel and is buried at the Bay Settlement Sisters cemetery. Read Sister Pauline

1929

Bishop Paul Peter Rhode of the Green Bay Diocese closes the chapel’s boarding school. Franciscan Sisters are asked to remain and care for the complex. Read Teach the Children

1933

The brick convent and school is remodeled as a home for crippled children. Read Teach the Children

1941

December 8 – Bishop Rhode lays the cornerstone of the fourth and present chapel.

1942

July 12 – Bishop Rhode dedicates the new chapel to Our Lady of Good Help. Read Haven for Healing and Celebration

1953

The crippled children’s home is closed and the buildings are leased to the Sisters of St. Francis at one dollar per year and converted into a Pre-Novitiate High School for girls desiring to enter the convent. Read Teach the Children

1954

The Most Reverend S. V. Bona, Bishop of Green Bay, appoints the first resident chaplain for the chapel.

1956

Because of the increase in vocations, a new dormitory is built on the chapel grounds to house the young women attending high school and religious formation. Read Teach the Children

1968

The Franciscan Pre-Novitiate High School is closed due to lack of vocations. The Franciscan Sisters continue on at the chapel serving the people in the area. Three Benedictine priests arrive at the chapel but stay only one year.

1977

August – The Most Reverend Jean Jadot, Apostolic Delegate to North America (and native of Belgium) was the main celebrant of an outdoor Mass in honor of the Blessed Mother at the chapel. The Mass attracted more than 500 faithful.

1992

The Carmelite Sisters from Grand Rapids, Michigan take possession of the chapel complex.

2002

The Carmelite Sisters depart from the chapel and the Diocese of Green Bay resumes control of the chapel and all shrine operations.

2009

Bishop Ricken appoints a commission to formally investigate the apparitions that occurred on the site.

2010

December 8 – Bishop Ricken approved the apparitions in a formal declaration at the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Read the Decree Approving the Apparitions

2011

The Fathers of Mercy began serving the sacramental needs of the Shrine pilgrims.

make a gift